NS Immigration Law

Providing Immigration Services in Texas.

E-2 Treaty Investor

Non-Immigrant Investor- E2 

The E2 Investment visa is a great way to enter the United States. This visa is given to investors from countries that have international trade agreements with the United States. The visa, however, is temporary and does not provide a path to permanent residence. The requirements include the following: 

  • Investor must be a national of the treaty country 

  • Substantial investment of capital 

  • Traceable funds (money is from legitimate source) 

  • Money must be committed and at risk

  • Business start date is imminent (about to start soon)

  • Investor has skills to run the business 

  • Business has plans to hire employees very quickly 

  • Investor must show he has plans to return to his or her home country following the expiration of the visa 


The investor will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Extensions may be granted in two year increments. Although there is no limit to the amount of extensions granted, the investor must show that they intend to depart the US at the end of each granted extension.  

Buying an Existing Business 

The investor may buy an existing business but must still comply with all of the above requirements, including the substantial amount of capital investment requirement. The money to start the business may be a gift, as long as the investor can show the source of the funds. 

Substantial Amount of Capital

This requirement is to ensure that the investor is committed to doing business in the United States. The capital, whether funds or other assets, must be placed “at risk” if the investment fails. This means that the investor has a high likelihood of successfully developing and directing the enterprise since the investor is jeopardizing his capital. 

At NS Law Firm, we have helped numerous clients obtain their E2 Visas. If you’re investing in the United States and want to get started with the application process, call us today at (713) 909 0752 or email at admin@nslawpllc.com  to set up a consultation. 

Why Choose Us?



We are fast, efficient, and responsive



We prudently assess all your available options



We have your back throughout the entire process

About Me

My name is Nadine Sheta and I am the founder of N.S. Law Firm, PLLC. A highly accomplished immigration attorney, I prepare complex applications and represent individuals in sensitive cases. I am passionate about finding a solution that meets your immigration needs. I take the trust my clients put in me personally and will navigate you step by step through the complexities of the immigration system. I aim to be the most reliable immigration lawyer in Houston, Texas!  

I am also Fluent in Arabic.

Meet Your Lawyer

Nadine Sheta

Call me



Mon-Fri: 8am-8pm
Sat: 9am-12pm

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), which family members may I sponsor for permanent residence?

Not all familial relationships may serve as a basis to apply for permanent residency. Under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, there are two primary categories

(a) immediate relatives and

(b) preference immigrants.

Immediate relatives are not subject to numerical limitations. They include:Spouses of US citizens;

Minor unmarried children (under 21); and

Parents if the petitioner is at least 21 years of age.

Preference immigrants are subject to preference provisions that specify the number of immigrant visas allotted to each of the family preference categories. The category affects the waiting period for each type of immigrant. The categories include:

(1)First Preference: unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens who are 21 yrs of age or older;

(2)Second Preference: spouses or children of LPRs (2A) and unmarried sons and daughters of LPRs (2B);

(3)Third Preference: married sons or daughters of US citizens; and

(4)Fourth Preference: Siblings of US citizens, if the citizens are at least 21 years of age.

I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and I stayed outside of the United States longer than 1 year, does that mean I lost my permanent resident status?

Not necessarily. Absence of greater than one year outside the United States breaks the continuous presence requirement for naturalization. In order to reenter the United States, you must apply for a Returning Resident Visa (SB-1) at the local US consulate.

If you know you will be outside of the United States for longer than six months and still plan to apply for naturalization, the best practice would be to file for a re-entry permit and ensure it is granted prior to leaving the country. For more information regarding the requirements of returning to the United States following a one-year absence, see the link below.

Does my divorce from a United States citizen effect my ability to apply for naturalization?

This one is complicated. Each situation is unique depending on the reason for the divorce and date of separation and divorce. First and foremost, the applicant will always have to prove they entered into a bonafide marriage prior to applying for naturalization. Depending on whether the application for adjustment of status was approved, it could affect the applicant’s ability to naturalize. If an applicant in still within the conditional permanent resident status stage, the applicant will still need to file an I-751 joint petition to remove the conditions on residency within a specific time period.

The joint requirement may be waived as long as the applicant can show they were not at fault for failing to file a joint petition.


Free Consultation. Attorney Fee Beginning at $5000

Contact us

Call Us

Our Location

5450 NW Central Dr.

Unit 200

Houston, TX 77092